Google Translate Blog

Friday, January 14, 2011

59th Stop: New York City, NY (Part 1)

I’ve rarely been so stressed out about accommodations as I had been for our first night in New York City. I had decided to get a hotel for Louis and I next to Times Square.

It must have been Casey who started telling me stories about bedbugs infesting the entire city of New York and my brother-in-law Dave confirmed it. They told me to check the bedbug registry before booking anywhere.

After spending an hour or so on the site, I started to get overwhelmed with paranoia. Sh*t, the last thing I wanted to do was pick up some vagabonding bedbugs and export them in my bags to my next destination! Not to mention suffer the sting of their bites all night long (cue Lionel Ritchie). I finally settled on the Edison Hotel after seeing some ok reports.

When I got into the room, I did a full sweep, checking the sheets and the headboard. Apparently, I wasn’t the only one because it looked like the headboard had been ripped off the wall about 50 times (it actually slid off, but I made the same mistake of pulling it off, oops). I had never seen a bedbug so was I really in a position to identify one I asked myself?

Louis and I left for the drugstore to get some insurance: an aerosol can of bedbugicide and plastic garbage bags to put all of our stuff in. I had them both in my hands and then convinced myself that I was overreacting and needed to calm down. In the end, no problems.

We tried later that evening to get lottery tickets for Wicked but we weren’t too lucky. We ended up having dinner and getting to bed early.

The next day, I took Louis to the USS Intrepid, an aircraft carrier cum museum on the West side. We had a splendid time on the simulators and learning about the carrier’s history. Unfortunately, we couldn’t visit the Concord because it was closed on weekdays.
Louis' hands on deck!

SR-71 Blackbird on the right, coolest plane by far
Old helicopter 69
Later that day, I brought Louis to the airport and put him on the direct flight from NYC to Nice. I was reassured when the check-in agent came back to the gate after putting him on the plane and told me that he is adorable and that the flight attendants love him already!

It was a really special treat to be able to spend a little under a month with Louis and I want to thank Thomas and his family for bringing him over as well as my mom, Danny, my sister Maria and her husband Dave, Nan and my dad for hosting us during our stay. We had a wonderful time!

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment and above all thanks for reading!